Day 10: Mon 24th: Grinton Lodge to Scorton

So last night we decide we did not want YHA food so the only option was the Bridge Inn, 1km down a steep hill in the rain but it was worth it. Great pub with open fire and the food was amazing. The difficulty was not so much going down but coming back up, but we made it. 
(photo  the next morning of The Bridge Inn)

Our stay at the Grinton Lodge was excellent. We had a large en-suite room with a double and set of bunks. It was also very quite and we only saw two other guests. It’s an old Hunting Lodge and we stayed in the tower. 


View from our room

We left around 8.30 and headed for Richmond, it was a short walk over rolling hills. I was still however concerned that tomorrow was 22miles(37km) which would make it the longest day by far and this was followed by an 18  miles the next day. 

The scenery from Grinton to Richmond was very much like James Herriot country rolling hills, farm land, narrow lanes etc. see for yourself. 






Dead Moles very creepy! 









Stopped for a break 







There was a small hail shower, so coats on


Arrived in Richmond at 12 so made great time


Look carefully, yes it is a ferret on a lead!

Chris was smitten with them, “I always wanted a ferret” I never knew that!


So it was 12.30 by the time we got to our accommodation and we hatched a plan to tackle the 22 miles we needed to cover tomorrow. We decide to leave most of our stuff in the Black Lion Hotel and continue walking and get a bus or taxi back later in the day. We left at 1.30 and headed on along the C2C. 
As I had internet I worked out that we could get another 10km to Scorton and get a bus back to Richmond 30 metres from the Black Lion. 
Richmond is really nice and very old, reminded me of Lincoln. 




After Richmond we were walking down a large agriculture  flood plain, along the River Swale which we had now been following on and off since Keld. 






We weren’t actually on the river bank more in a field peering are  at it through trees and bushes. 



A Euro Fighter flew past twice!


A1(M)

Walking under the A1(M) moving from middle England to  Eastern England



Our last view of the River Swale on the C2C

A moment to reflect!

Arrived at Scorton 

Much happier only 18 miles (27 Km) tomorrow! 😀


You can see that the last third of this is very flat, this is all after Richmond

Today: 29.77 km
Total: 221.38 km

Tomorrow we are getting the bus back at Scorton . It was either 9.35 am , which Chris wanted, or the 7.31 am, which  I wanted, Chris won. This will mean we don’t start walking till 10.05,  ðŸ˜± nearly the middle of the day. 

From Scorton we head to Ingleby Arncliffe in Northallerton calculated at 18 miles (27km), stopping at Danby Wiske for early Lunch. 

Only 4 days left including today, Friday we will walk into Robin Hood’s Bay. 



Comments

  1. Jake and holly also wanted a ferret and very nearly got one . They were being shown by a group outside the library and people were encouraged to hold them. I made enquiries About keeping them as pets and was given an address to contact. The next morning I was putting my clothes away and the smell from them was dreadful. That was the end of the ferret dream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I heard they were smelly, but they are cute - Damian

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. (If leaving comments please state who is leaving it as I have allowed anonymous comments. So would be good to know who is from. As it’s anonymous, comments are moderated.)